For the fifth year in a row, readers of Travel + Leisure magazine have named Charleston the Best City in the U.S. The city was also named the second best city in the world!
The magazine put together a list of reasons to visit Charleston and why it is the most beloved city in the world, and we couldn’t agree more! Some of the top choices are:
- The distinct Charleston skyline
- The iconic Pineapple Fountain in Charleston’s Waterfront Park
- Brittlebank Park for outdoor recreation with a stunning backdrop
- The historic Dock Street Theatre, where you can still catch local shows
- Horse-drawn carriage rides
- Rainbow Row: the strip of Georgian-style, pastel-colored homes along the waterfront
- McLeod Plantation, a carefully preserved historic site from the 1800s with beautiful grounds
- Antiquing on King Street
- St. Philip’s Church, originally established in 1680
Several phenomenal restaurants in Charleston also made the complete list.
Looking to make a vacation out of it? Spend a week in a Charleston’s Islands vacation rental for easy access to downtown and magnificent beaches.